The Lao program is flexible, empowering and responsive to the expressed needs of Lao educators and visiting teachers. Our main aim is to support teachers, in the environment where they teach, using the resources which they have, within the bounds of the curriculum which they teach. We see our presence as being mutually beneficial. Visiting teachers frequently state that they feel that they have gained more than they have given. We are not volunteers, we are visitors to Laos and our aim is to leave nothing but foot prints and smiles.
Programs are held in February-March and dates are flexible. Programs were established in 2007 (2007~2009, at Lao American College, seminars for students and staff.)
Over the past 13 years we have worked with and are continuing to work with:
– Lao TESOL (an annual two day closed event for over 400 Lao English teachers) parallel presentations and plenary speakers and support for the conference and Proceedings Journal,
– The National University of Laos – in-service training programs; seminars for Faculty of Letters teaching staff,
– State secondary schools – post conference in class support, for teachers, trainee teachers and students; impromptu seminars,
– Teachers Training Colleges – workshops for teachers and trainee teachers of English,
– Lao American College – seminars for students and peer mentoring for staff.
We have delivered donations including equipment and repairs and more than 4,500 English books to schools and have supported over 200 visits to Laos by visiting teachers from all over the world.
This program differs from other THT events and is continuing to develop. In the future, we hope to be able to offer support to rural schools outside of Vientiane District particularly in Luang Prabang.
Please contact: Chris Ruddenklau Lao Program Co-ordinator for further information: thtlaos2012[at] gmail.com